Monday, May 31, 2010

Out With The Old and In With The New!



This is a picture of the front of my house right before we closed on it.  The inspector was inside looking for issues (he found many, if you remember).  To the left are our Realtors, Loretta and Fitz.  Center is Mr Comforts of Home.

I showed you this picture so you could see the landscaping - or lack there of.  The evergreens you see in the picture were neglected and half dead.  We were able to save one and move it to the back of the house.

Here is what I have been up to.  Removing dead evergreens, removing sod and planting some new plants...



Above you can see the 7 Nandina's I planted.  The grow about 2 feet high and 2 feet wide, so they will fill in and be just the right height. (edited to add...a couple of comments about Nandina getting HUGE...these are a DWARF variety - see the label in pics below.  In the second label pic you can see that it gets to be 2 feet tall and 1-1/2 - 2 feet wide.  Perfect for the space.)







I still have to add mulch.  I hope to plant spring bulbs in front of the Nandina this fall.

Below you can see the left side of the front porch.  I have been enlarging it and digging up sod (like I did here in the back of the house).


So as you can see, it is raining and work outside has come to a halt for a few days. 

Before I end this post, I wanted to show you a wonderful piece of garden art I have had for about 6 years.  I bought it at a local art fair in the area.  It is a copper hummingbird and it just keeps getting better with age.

Did you ever watch the gardening show on HGTV a few years back with Rebecca Koll?  I am going to borrow her saying, that she said at the end of each show.
"Get Those Hands Dirty"
Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment