Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ingredients for a fabulous French kitchen....

Bon Jour! (you guessed it, still have France on my mind)
In my quest to create a perfect French inspired kitchen with a nod to how they use to look while being able to incorporate the modern conveniences of today's living....I have collected a huge collection of pictures both from magazines, books and of course, from the endless world wide web. I want to create a "Chateauesque" feeling kitchen but one that is bright, cheerful, efficient, practical and of course beautiful. It is exciting to be planning another kitchen, the cabinets are being made as I speak and we are going in a few days to finalize the finish. Will be sure to bring my camera! (charged this time)

It was important for me to incorporate black into my new kitchen, so I am making my massive 12 foot long center island black and getting a black range and am considering making my butlers pantry done in black glazing. (It also has a lot of glass so it will still allow for a lot of light). I remember I saw a butlers pantry with black cabinetry (they were really tall)  with a lot of glass, years and years ago at a house tour and it was so magnificent, always kept the visual in the back of my mind. I will be using Calacutta gold marble on the countertops and will be sure to incorporate plenty of copper pots, would love to find an old french scale and of course my fabulous floors from Paris Ceramics will make the perfect backdrop to a beautiful French kitchen. If you have some other ideas, sure would love to hear them! Here are some of my "French kitchen" inspiration pictures......

Francois and Company limestone hoodGorgeous black enamel range with brass accents..a love!



Old monastery table

Found this a while back on a UK site, about some of the essentials for a well stocked European kitchen...love the visuals!

Reclaimed limestone floors from Paris Ceramics

A rustic warmth is the overall feeling....(French Country Home)


A fun or whimsical bar stool like this one from the Kristin Drohan collection

Or something like this, a black wooden one from Hillsdale


Love all the containers and canisters above the range




Fabulous monastery table

Though these aren't my colors (but am using a black range) this kitchen is very French feeling and certainly feels warm and inviting...you just know something delicious is being created there!


A original Shaw's farmhouse sink or two


Gorgeous Ilve black range with antique scale and love that yellow pot!


Gorgeous floors and fireplace...love these over sized metal containers and the chandelier

Rohl's polished nickel bridge faucet


A pretty painted hutch can be a  beautiful addition too




Stunning old kitchen made new...love the door color and all the pretty accents

Beautiful rich woods with limestone hood and iron light fixture..all hallmarks of a great French kitchen

If space allows for it, a pretty antique hutch is a great way to break up a sea of cabinetry


A nice collection of copper pots...a must!

A gorgeous slab of Calacutta Gold marble on the countertops..is a must!


Beautiful array of Le Cruset pots in a rainbow of colors awaiting a cassoulet or my Beef Bourguignon!

A french inspired wrought iron chandelier....debating between iron and crystal...thoughts?

A beautiful old antique scale.....must have


I am not using stone, but think it looks beautiful here in this French inspired rustic kitchen

Another beautiful Francois and Co. limestone hood

If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace in your kitchen, limestone looks fabulously rich, warm and inviting in a kitchen..finish it off with blue and white of course!


My current chairs..have had them for 7 years but love them and don't want to part...how cute is this fabric! (please don't comment on the floors- we are in a rental..lol)

A great little fruit bowl/stand "french inspired" I picked up years ago..think it will work perfectly in the new kitchen!

Love the pugs! They are whimsical but elegant...


Old Chateau kitchen....love the big fireplace

Fabulous over sized fireplace.....all that's missing is a baguette, wine, cheese and me!

Love the limestone work here....

Old black french range...floors look a lot like mine

I drew inspiration from this photo for my floors, the mix of the warm and cool colors...

Pretty warm woods and nice detailing on this new kitchen

A gorgeous richly upholstered chair for the breakfast room (Safavieh)


Pretty wood working

One of my favorites, from Jack Arnold...this was another very inspirational picture



Green French range looks mighty pretty in this old kitchen, love the old brick and timber hood!

Fabulous dining area in a very old French home....so chic even though its very rustic

An oldie but goodie! Great inspirational photo

Of course, an abundance of great looking french towels.....


OK I know theoretically this dinnerware is English, featuring British castles..but I have used this pattern in my kitchen for everyday meals for the last 8 years and love it and don't want to give it up! (Plus I think its very European)
A nice pair of salt and pepper grinders

A great little chalkboard if you have the wall space, is a nice touch


And of course, plenty of French cookbooks! You can never have too many.....


A great little book with all kinds of fabulously French images...French Touch by Jan De Luz

Do you have a great idea for a French inspired kitchen? I love hearing back from all you trendsetters and would love to know your ideas. Have a wonderful day. If you are plagued with this miserable weather we are having in NY.....please be safe. Au Revoir!







Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment