Saturday, August 27, 2011

Painted Porch Floor

My friend BJ, from Sweet Nothings was sighing the other day on this post, because she had seen a beautiful painted WOOD porch floor that she loved, and her porch floor was CONCRETE.  Here is the porch she was coveting the floor of....
from BJ's post of  a Country Living picture

I told her I would do this blog post just for her, because several years ago when we lived in Florida I used concrete stain to paint my concrete porch floor.

Here is the concrete porch BEFORE I stained it.  I apologize for the poor picture quality.  I took photos of photos...these pictures are from 1999.


And here are the after pictures....

Following the manufacturers instructions we etched our concrete porch floor with muriatic acid (please follow the manufacturers instructions!!).

Then after the concrete was completely dry, I painted the whole porch a taupe color.  Then I applied painters tape where I wanted the "grout" to be, and also where I wanted to paint an "area rug". 

I then applied a coat of white paint over the whole porch - except the center where the "rug" was to be.

When the white paint was dry, I pulled up the painters tape to reveal the "grout".

Finally I stenciled a floral pattern around the "area rug" and free hand painted tassels onto the "rug".  In the picture above you can even see an old crack in the concrete on the right had side.

It actually really look like tile when it was finished.

If you want to try this, just make sure you buy the correct stain/paint for your surface.  Make sure you also prep the surface properly.  Ask at the paint/stain store - if you tell then what you are painting, they should be able to direct you to the right products.

There you go BJ....now start staining/painting your concrete porch!
Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment