Thursday, March 10, 2011

Things I am loving Thursdays.........

UPDATE- I am away until tonight....I will be posting winner later tonight once I am home with my new daily post....thanks!
1 more day!!
Tomorrow is the big day...... Swank Lightingwho has the most beautiful hand blown Murano lamps has generously donated this gorgeous pair of Murano lamps!! The drawing will be  
Friday, March 11th 
To be eligible, you have to be a follower or subscriber....that's it! Be sure to visit their site, they truly have some exquisite and very unique lighting...http://www.swanklighting.com/
Hand blown glass lamps from Murano Italy, made exclusively for Swank Lighting.  These lamps are designed after a popular, classic Barovier & Toso lamp from the 1940's.  They stand 24 inches tall to the top of the socket.  The glass is hand blown and loaded with 24kt gold flake with vertical ribs and controlled bubbles.  The hardware is top quality solid brass. They retail for $2700.00

I am out of town for 2 days but will announce the winner tomorrow morning! Well, the house decisions continue to mount, very  exciting indeed! However there are days, admittedly that I feel very overwhelmed. I have had many many of you ask and email me about who we are using to decorate or if we are going to use someone...and the answer is not right this minute. We had started with someone who is very talented but I was not totally accepting his "vision" for the decor and having some experience, I have some strong opinions. I have so many ideas, concepts and visions in my head of how I want it to end up looking that working with someone might not be feasible as generally you are hiring them to have them realize your vision and if the two visions are not in the same stratosphere that can be a problem! That said we are in talks with someone whose work I am a big big fan of so we will see where it goes. In the meantime, I plod ahead and it feels darn good to be making some concrete decisions albeit small ones.....finally. So as I do every Thursday, here is what I am loving this week.........


LIGHTING. Saw some antique mirrored sconces in an antiques shop, which were gorgeous but sold. They also weren't in the best condition so all was not lost, they did however spark an idea..and in my travels I found this "old/new" pair of antiqued mirror sconces....I love them. What do you think? I am thinking of these for one of the powder rooms or my dressing area. Below that are a few final contenders for our outdoor lighting. A tough choice..as I love all of them but we have to narrow it down, they are exact replicas of period pieces which is why I love them..you don't see them coming and going. If you have a particular favorite, considering our house which is pictured to the right of this post, then please let me know!


















WALLPAPERS. You know, I love them and have a blast looking for them. I have decided on the brown, and rusty one from Thibaut (shown last Thursday) for my library powder room and am so excited about it. I found these Christoper Norman papers which I think are so beautiful, the colors, the pattens, old world and elegant but with a twist. The second one is really bold but I am so drawn to it for some reason...does anyone else feel that way? I just can't stop looking at it, but don't know where I would put it or if it is right for my house and yet it keeps haunting me and beckoning me to use it....lol.



ORMOLU CONTAINERS. I like to keep beautiful decorative containers on hand and to have them regularly filled with seasonal plants or flowers. I recently added a few to my collection. I am always amazed at how much they can add to a room, as its such an elegant and relatively inexpensive change to make. I normally use orchids and the good news is if taken proper care of they actually can last quite a while...so below are some of the containers that I love, ormolu with a gold leaf accent....pretty elegant, don't you think?





CARPETING. My battle has raged on with my husband over carpeting in the bedrooms vs. putting wood floors. I love wood floors but feel strongly that the bedrooms should be carpeted as its so pretty, cozy and feels so good on the feet...just something about the way carpet feels and looks that I am feeling strongly about, so I am being pretty stubborn. Hoping to sway him by some pretty choices.....the ones below are for my sons' rooms, any thoughts?






VELVET OTTOMANS. I have always loved the inviting feel of a pretty ottoman, like the way it can be moved  anywhere in the room where you need an impromptu extra seat and the way they double as  great looking tables especially with a tray or glass round on top. They are so versatile and can be such a fun decorative object to dress up. Here are a few samples of some that I like..do you have one? Would you like one?


FABRICS WITH BIRDS. I have always liked birds quite a bit, my old wallpaper in my bedroom had a beautiful soft palette of the palest gray green with peacocks and it was quite gorgeous, I bought beautiful peacock crystal sconces and in general am drawn to birds, peacocks and such. So I recently saw some gorgeous fabrics with birds and am brainstorming as to where I might be able to use them.... Any ideas?




VENETIAN MIRRORS. This is a serious love and there is no breakup in the near future. I have always loved these mirrors...with their almost Lacy delicate nature, they are just so grand, regal, elegant and yet understated in the most sophisticated way. In the right spot, this can make quite  the statement. Particularly with a pretty and simple antique chest with a few interesting objects, but nothing that would compete with the beauty of the mirror above it. It would be stunning for a wide gallery hallway or a small vestibule leading off a hallway to another room..humm, I have just the spot! The last one I thought would be gorgeous in a ladies dressing room/area.



MARBLE ANYTHING. Of course its no secret of my obsession with all things marble, particularly gorgeous veiney white marble. Could this Sherle Wagner tub be any more luxurious and over the top in an old world amazingly elegant kind of way? (Not even in the cards but it was fun to look at) And of course I simply cannot do one of these Thursday posts without including something from New Ravenna...so here are a few goodies to entice you with.....(unreal what they can do with marble, in awe every time I see their creations)!



MONOGRAMMED ANYTHING. I discovered these gorgeous laminated placemats..how pretty are they? I love the traditional old world designs and the monogrammed ones as well. What do you think? Just love the English inspired designs and styles...fabulous.




OK my brain can only take in so much,  and my senses are stimulated and in overdrive! I hope you enjoyed these items that I am loving on Thursday, do you have a favorite or something you are loving this week that you want to share? Do tell! Enjoy your day.....




Photobucket












No comments:

Post a Comment