Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Oh Deer! And A Portable Potager.

Yes, Oh DEER!

I mentioned a few reasons why I couldn't plant a garden in my temporary rental home in my last post.  Here is another reason.
I took this picture last evening from my back door.  Every morning and every evening a herd of deer come through.  They are really pretty, but they also eat everything in sight.

Here is another shot from inside the house looking out my guest room window, where I now have my computer.  See him/her - there in the middle of the trees?

As you know from a previous post, my FRONT deck is high off the ground, and I don't have to worry about deer getting on the front deck, so that is where I have created my portable potager.

This self watering gardening planter comes from Gardeners Supply.  I am not getting compensated for mentioning them on my blog.  I found this planter in their catalog before we moved and thought this would be a perfect solution.

I ordered casters with the planter, so I can move it around the deck, making sure it stays in the sun.  I can also wheel it inside if there is a threat of frost.


It comes with this grate that has channels in it that wicks up water into the soil, from the reservoir you fill.




I added some potting mix and my herbs and lettuce, and voila!


A portable potager.  I love this because it does have the reservoir so you don't have to water everyday, like you do most container gardens.  You simply pull down the little plastic spout in the front and fill the base with water from a hose.

 
 

You can get these with tomato planting kits too, including cages, but I decided just to go to the farmers market this summer for my tomatoes.
Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment