Thursday, September 16, 2010

French Breakfast Radishes

Fresh from my garden today.....French Breakfast Radishes...

Are these not the cutest radishes you have ever seen?  I am growing these in my fall garden.

This is what I have learned about these delicious radishes.

In France, they would be eaten as a mid-morning snack. The Pennsylvanian Dutch also eat radishes for breakfast, as do the Dutch, Japanese, Koreans and Russians.

This particular variety of radishes was brought to America about 1870; by the late 1880s, it was being offered in American seed catalogues.



The Romans would eat radishes for breakfast sometimes (though breakfast was not a big meal in the Roman world.) The Victorians would have them for breakfast with potted shrimp, toast and cress.


The Dutch in New York in the 1700s would have sugared tea, bread, butter and radishes for breakfast. American colonists would have them for breakfast.

I just have to say they are the best tasting radishes I have ever had.  Mild, with just a little "bite".  Perfect as an appetizer.

I am linking this with Southern in My Heart Inspiration Friday.  Click on the button below to be directed to Vanessa's blog and find more inspiration.



Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment