Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Little Bit Of Italy

One of THE BEST meals I have ever had was a very simple one.  Two years ago we went to Italy.  One place we stopped was Assisi.  After touring the city and the Tomb of St. Francis, we saw a restaurant sign pointing up a steep flight of stairs.  Intrigued, we decided to check it out.

The proprietors didn't speak English and we didn't speak Italian, but with much gesturing we ordered.  I had pappardella pasta with fresh asparagus and truffles.  Here is a picture I took of the dish in the restaurant- sorry it is so blurry but it was an older camera...



When we returned home I tried to recreate the dish.  I couldn't find any truffles to shave, so instead I purchased some Truffle Oil and added some mushrooms.  Here is how I did it...
First I gathered my ingredients. 

put a small amount of olive oil in the pan and sauteed the asparagus with fresh cracked pepper and course sea salt.

Sliced the mushrooms and added them to the asparagus when it was half way cooked...

grated some Parmesan cheese...


Boiled the pasta until al dente. Drained - reserving one cup of pasta water.

Tossed the asparagus, mushrooms, pasta, pasta water and Parmesan cheese together and then drizzled with the Truffle Oil.


It was ALMOST as good as the original.
(these pictures were taken 2 years ago in my old house...I just found them while going through some old pics).
Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment