Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fresh Pea Soup


I know many of us have had split pea and ham soup, made with dried peas.  Have you ever had fresh pea soup?

I hadn't until last night.  Our potager is still yielding veggies.  Broccoli, beets, carrots, lettuce and peas.

Lots of peas...


So I made fresh pea soup.  You can also use frozen peas for this recipe.  I changed the recipe a little...this is my version.  Here it is.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups fresh peas or 32 ounces frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced shallots (about 11 ounces)
  • 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  •  Plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream, stirred
  • Small fresh pea sprouts*
Preparation

 Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until golden and almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add peas, 4 cups broth, and tarragon; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until flavors blend and peas are tender, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until completely smooth. (I used my immersion blender) Return soup to same saucepan. Bring to simmer and thin with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if desired.

Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Drizzle lightly with yogurt or sour cream. Garnish with pea sprouts.
*Available at natural foods stores and Asian markets.


(forgot to take a picture...this picture is from the recipe site Epicurious)
It was very easy and ohhh sooo yummy!
Welcome Home,
Penny
p.s. don't forget to enter my CSN giveaway, here.  And to enter the Krups Espresso Machine giveaway, click the coffee machine on my sidebar.


No comments:

Post a Comment