Thursday, June 2, 2011

Things I am loving Thursdays and house update!

Happy Thursday! I don't know about you but I cannot believe we are in June. Where is 2011 going!! As I do on almost every Thursday post, I have included a few house updates. Things are definitely moving along, lots of finishing going on particularly upstairs, wood floors are finally totally done! Doors are hung, casing is complete around all doors and windows. Now they are working on hallway casings. They are finishing up the little odds and ends on the stone in bathrooms and they will soon be ready for their plumbing fixtures as well as vanities (due in a few weeks) So progress is being seen and though it will never feel fast enough, I have to sit tight. My camera died during the middle of my "photo session" so I included what I was able to take.  I cannot believe summer is officially here, I feel like it really crept up on us!  I just hope it lingers and doesn't fly by and before I know it I come to face to face with a new shipment of black and white marble notebooks and chock full aisles of school supplies...ugh!

HOUSE UPDATES. So here is basically the finished foyer floor (except the rondele design in the tower) as well as the wood flooring upstairs and the breakfast room is basically done, except for a few minor little odds and ends. Now they have just completed "antiquing" the beams for the family room and that installation is underway!


















 SUMMER GETAWAY. I like to often include a travel destination in these Thursday posts. Don't know if any of you have been to the uber charming venerable Charlotte Inn in Edgartown, Marthas Vineyard but if you are in the Northeast and looking for a great vacation/weekend idea....look no more. This is a fabulous converted Relais and Chateaux property, the owners redid the two 18th and 19th century  homes so beautifully, it inspired its own coffee table book, "Behind the times on purpose". There are 25 beautifully appointed rooms, only catch is no cell phones and no kids! The rooms are done in English country complete with antiques old oils and beautiful worn Persian rugs. As I am writing this post I am suddenly craving a trip there myself! It truly is like stepping back in time.......









And the book upon which its based.....


A PRETTY FROCK FOR SUMMER. I love beautiful summer prints in soft, light airy fabrics. I also love great little dresses and tunics that are easy and don't require a lot of thinking. One line I discovered not too long ago that I think has very chic summer pieces is Jules Reid. Love all the fun prints in such great summer colors. She has a great way of mixing them and I think its a really sophisticated but fun summer line. Click here to see more.











MONOGRAMMED COASTERS. I think every home should have coasters....they might seem old fashioned to some, but practical yes they are! I think these are great looking and would certainly work well in anyones home. They are crystal and come with the choice of five different monograms. Because they are crystal, no worries about them clashing with your decor...great gift idea too! Click here to see more.


COLEFAX AND FOLWER. An oldie but goodie. Few can compete with the old world line of British, Colefax and Folwer. And after looking at some of their newer additions to their wallpaper line I am reminded that they are still going very strong. The English country look but updated, fresher, crisper and more "now". Doesn't appear old and stodgy as I think many think of this line as being. This newer line is really quite fabulous. Lots of beautiful old world feeling but very elegant papers. Love the soft washed colors. Take a look....do you have a favorite?











LADUREE. I for one, (and I know there are countless others) am thrilled that Laduree is opening up their first U.S. location in New York, right on Madison Avenue!!  If you don't already know this famed Parisian bakery and master of the macaroon world...then you will soon! Their macaroons are as delicious as their stores are beautiful, just like little jewels. And few will argue that they make the most heavenly macaroons in more flavors than you can count. My husband and I bought several boxes while in France recently as "souvenirs"...needless to say, only a handful made it to their recipients :)  (The new address will be 864 Madison and is slated to open in July)






GREAT OUTDOOR ENTERTAINING PIECES. For all the time we spend outdoors in the summer, it pays to invest in beautiful service pieces and place settings. This is not your mothers melamine however. I love this grouping of plates, they come in assorted colors/patterns..arent' they great looking? I love the idea of mixing and matching with smaller solid plates and colored glasses. This great little company also has some other fun items for summer entertaining and I think the prices are good too, always a big bonus. From Vivaterra, click here to see more.
Set of four mixed patterns and colors

Beautifully colored glass bowls
Handpainted pitcher and glasses
Reclaimed wood lazy Susan
Quartz tealight holders...pretty for a beautifully set table outdoors
Whitewash root bowls, these could be fun for serving

WHITE LANTERNS. I love lanterns and candles, any low light for that matter outside especially when entertaining. I especially love how white lanterns look on a beautifully lit summer night with the the stars shining above..something about the white just pops and really sets the mood. Love these, can see these scattered all over a patio, on tables and right on the patio, by the pool or flanking a back door...possibilities are endless!

CORAL INSPIRED DINNER SERVICE. I wish this was cheaper becuause I love it and could so see a table all set, wtih the white lanterns above and this china...love the color. That's the good news, the bad news is its about $500 a place setting...oh well its fun to look! Its by Raynaud Limoges. Pretty isn't it?


A FRENCH SETTEE. Love this piece of furniture, looks great well just about anywhere! In a living room, bedroom, foyer and even a bathroom (if you have the room) the delicate lines and soft toned woods make this elegant piece of furniture something I definitely want to use in the new house. I also like a settee at the foot of a bed. Do you like them too?



Under Spanish Moss
Love the idea of a highbacked settee as part of the seating arrangement in a cozy breakfast room


Well that's some of what I am loving this Thursday..how about you, anything special you want to share? Wishing you a wonderful and happy Thursday.
Photobucket











No comments:

Post a Comment