Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Paris Flea Markets

The most famous flea market in Paris is the one at Porte de Clignancourt, officially called Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, but known to everyone as Les Puces (The Fleas).  The Puces covers 7 hectares and is the largest antiques market in the world, receiving between 120,000 to 180,000 visitors each weekend.

I did spend a few hours at this big one.  It was wonderful, but VERY, VERY expensive.  Mostly large items like chairs, tables, rugs, chandeliers, art - more antique than flea...  If I was a millionaire, I would shop there for my entire house and have it crated and shipped back to the states...but since I am just an average Jane.  I just admired every beautiful thing.

The flea market I did spend time and a little money at, was much smaller.  It is the Vanves Flea Market.  It has about 380 merchants.


It was the only cold rainy day we had in Paris, but rain or shine the flea market is open.


Prices were pretty reasonable and if I didn't have to consider carrying things back on the plane, I would have purchased some silver, a chair or two and some wonderful vintage transferware china.

Loved these two antique wall sconces.  See the price?  I think they were 450 Euros for the pair.

What did I buy?  Something that was light weight and would fit into my suitcase.  I bought these two vintage French linen dish towels, with monograms.
They are soft from years of use and in wonderful condition.  I could have bought alot more of these, but luggage restrictions made me be sensible...

If I lived in Paris, I could have furnish an entire apartment by purchasing things at this flea market.

Next post - The Palace of Versailles.  The home of Marie Antoinette and King Louis.

Welcome Home,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment